Green Pastures is a 1.5 acre property, located on the corner of Main Street and Moody Street, which consists of a lovely 4,318 square foot, 14-room Victorian home (including 6 bedrooms); a weathered carriage barn; a large, level greensward in addition to the corner lawn; and a paved parking lot.
The lot originally belonged to Sarah Long, daughter-in-law of Isaiah Moody, the first of the Moody family in Northfield, who then sold the home in 1886 to Fleming H. Revell (the publisher and brother-in-law of Dwight L. Moody, the famed evangelist and founder of the Northfield and Mount Hermon Schools).
On Sept. 19, 1888, Revell sold the property – now with the house – to Daniel B. Towner. Prof. Towner taught music and wrote hymns, including the tunes to “Trust and Obey,” “At Calvary,” and “Grace, Greater Than All My Sin.” On May 11, 1895, the Towners sold the property to Emma Moody, wife of Arthur Percy Fitt and daughter of D.L. Moody.
Here the Fitts lived, authoring several volumes on Moody’s life and ministry, including the only book on Mrs. D.L. Moody, Heavenly Destiny. Their only daughter, Emma Moody Fitt, married Edward Powell, Sr. and raised their four children Virginia McDonald, Ted, and twins David and John at Green Pastures. These four sold the property to Northfield Mount Hermon School in 1983.
Northfield Mount Hermon School converted the home to house the Alumni and Parents Program offices and other administrative offices.
Green Pastures was put up for sale in March 2013 and was purchased by the C.S. Lewis College Foundation on September 18, 2013.
The C.S. Lewis Foundation intends to use the property as a C.S. Lewis Study Center, from which it plans to launch several programs opened to the surrounding community, including a lecture series, Great Books seminars, and performing arts concerts. The programming will reflect anticipated offerings at the future C.S. Lewis College, but on a noncredit basis. Green Pastures will also house administrative and fundraising offices of the C.S. Lewis College Foundation, a subsidiary of the C.S. Lewis Foundation.